Tuesday, June 14, 2011

organic gardening


tomato plants


planter with carrots, green onions, and cilantro


our first harvest! a tiny carrot

Perhaps I inherited my green thumb from my dad - growing up, I remember a garden plot in the backyard, and over the course of several summers helping my dad harvest green onions, tomatoes, even a giant sunflower. Now that we have a home and yard of our own, I decided to enlist the kids in helping me plant an organic garden! We chose carrots (for Arjun), tomatoes (for LIla), and green onions (for me). We started the seeds indoors back in February, and transplanted the seedlings into the containers a couple of months ago. So far, so good! I've heard that tomatoes are tough to grow in SF due to the lack of sunshine, but the carrots and green onions are doing great. We'll have to cross our fingers for the tomato plants!