Saturday, May 17, 2008

Lila is 5 months!



And we've already turned her into a little bookworm. She'll need to get glasses soon, with all of the reading that she does!

On a more serious note, we had a big scare on Thursday. Lila fell onto the floor from a distance of about three and a half feet while I was giving her a bath. She knocked her head on the hardwood floor and developed a huge bump on her head, and seemed unusually drowsy afterwards...we called 911 and rushed to the emergency room, where she received a CT scan. She sustained a linear fracture on her left parietal skull plate. Luckily, there was no sign of internal bleeding or brain damage, and later x-rays showed that she has no other broken bones, but we stayed in the hospital overnight so the doctors could monitor her and make sure she wasn't developing delayed subdural bleeding. N slept on a blanket spread over the linoleum floor while I held Lila all night, praying that she would be okay. I used to not believe in praying, or that praying was a crutch for those who needed religion to make sense of the world. Motherhood has taught me how immature that viewpoint is. Whatever my religious beliefs may be (I still haven't figured it out), I need to believe in the power of prayer as well. At least for my baby.