Last week I suddenly found myself in Taiwan for a short trip to attend my Ah-Po's funeral. She lived to an amazingly long and fruitful 93 years, so in a sense her funeral was a celebration of her life. Nonetheless, I wanted to say goodbye to her as I remember her being an integral part of my childhood, cooking traditional Hakka dishes that I will likely never eat again, watching over me when I practiced piano as a child in Torrance, handing out my daily single Skittles as a treat. I also wanted to take part in the traditional Hakka funeral and support my father, who's filial piety is inspiring and really looked after my Ah-Po until the very end.
The silver lining was being able to spend time with my family. I live a blessed life in San Francisco, but can't help but miss my parents and sister as they live so far away. It was nice to feel taken care of again by my parents, and to see my dad's new house. Jeff and I also got to spend some quality time again revisiting our favorite haunts in Hsinchu!
 |
| Exploring "Big City Mall" with Ashley and Evie |
 |
| Jeff eating his favorite traditional Taiwanese breakfast |
 |
| Eating giant shrimp with Jeff, Dad, and Ah-Yi |
 |
| Ashley at Dad's country house |
 |
| Mom and I found the pool I learned to swim in! |