Make that a big scare. My first night back from the trip, I was just finishing dinner with N when I told him about my recurring fear, that I would go to the bathroom and find blood. A few minutes later, I went to the bathroom and found...blood. Obviously we both immediately freaked out and googled the heck out of it. I knew that most miscarriages are due to unavoidable genetic mishaps, though, and that if it was going to happen, I could do nothing about it. The only thing I could do was sleep.
The next morning I called the doctor's office, who arranged a blood test. Because it is still so early in the pregnancy, they didn't know if they could see anything with the ultrasound yet. I went in for the blood test, feeling more nauseous than I'd ever felt before. The next morning, the nurse called with semi-good news: my HCG (pregnancy hormone levels) were high enough for an ultrasound.
The ultrasound was fine, not painful at all except for the amount of water I had in my bladder. The whole time I was staring up at the ceiling, praying to whoever was out there, but mainly asking my little bun to stay put for a while. When the technician asked me to hold my breath, a glimmer of hope. A few minutes later, she turned the monitor towards me and told me to watch a little spot, no more than a few pixels across. It was blinking.
The heartbeat! The heartbeat! I cried.
