Friday, April 13, 2007

who, what, when, where, why, and how



My name is J and I am 28. I am married to N. N and I have a cat who I'll refer to as P (for Piddles). It is a relatively new and small family, since we only formalized our union last summer, but we're very happy. Our favorite weekend activity is to sit around in our bright sunny living room and nap (P), read blogs (J), or work. Yes, work (N).

All that is going to change very soon, because I have some news...a little bun will soon be joining our family. From now on, I'll refer to the bun as LB. The bun has only been alive for about 2 1/2 weeks, and our little family of 3 is super excited about the new addition. At least I'm assuming that P is also happy to be getting a new playmate soon.

So, where am I? I am currently in Tokyo for a business trip. N and I had been trying for about 4 months, ever since New Year's, to conceive. Although I didn't think I'd have a child so soon after marriage, I have some kind of superstitious fear of having a child in the year of the Rat, which is in 2008, so I was really hoping for a child in the year of the Golden Pig (2007). And neither of us wanted to wait until 2009 to have our first child. Strange, I know, but I just kept imagining LB having to tell his relatives and Chinese friends that he was a Rat...I know, I know, it is a stupid thing to care about, but there you are. Plus, both of us have been ready for a child for some time. Guess biological clocks aren't so easy to ignore.

Anyways, we'd been trying for a few months, and for some reason I really didn't think it was going to happen this time, so I didn't even bring a pregnancy test to Tokyo. But last Thursday came and there were no signs of a period, so I ran out to a Japanese pharmacy and bought a 2-pack. Although I knew I was supposed to wait for the first morning pee, I simply couldn't wait, and surprise! The purple line made my heart jump so that I had to leave it on the bathroom counter and pace around my hotel room a bit before coming back to it. And there it was, stunningly positive.

Unfortunately, I'd been innocently scarfing sushi and sashimi just that night. But I immediately swore off all raw fish and meat (hard as that was in Tokyo) and emailed N to call me. I surprised him with this photo. It was pretty incredible, so although we couldn't be together when we found out, at least we each found out within minutes of each other! It's been a few days now, but I don't think either of us has fully absorbed the information! I don't think we'll fully understand the magnitude of this event until we are reunited next week.